Monday, January 15, 2007

Surf's up

Just got back from a weekend in La Union where me and some office friends took the time off to learn about life as a surfer. Thanks to Stan and Kian, we got pretty good accommodations, an excellent surf instructor and okay waves to help us learn.

Like any beginner, I was not able to stand on the board (we got the long boards) even if I have kept on trying for 30 mins with Kian. Jan had the instructor first. When it was my turn, I was able to ride my first wave all the way to the end!!! It was so cool and I couldn't hide the smile. I was able to ride a couple more times and I also fell a lot more times too but it was so much fun!! I guess I had the instructor for 30 mins as well.

At the afternoon, Stan broad his short board (which is easier to paddle but harder to balance). We all tried it out but none ever got to stand up while riding. I think I almost did but only up to a kneeling position. Of course, Stan and Kian got to ride well. At night, we formed a new SWAT love team, :p had some Boracay mix and did some star gazing as well. I was pretty tired that day so I did not last long gazing the black abyss.

The next day we rented 2 long boards but the waves were fierce. Getting out to the sea was tough enough and riding the waves was rare and hard! I was able to ride one but did not get to stand. I stood up too late. I also got a heavy beating when I hit the sand under the sea and I thought I heard my neck crack a bit but I ended okay. I just home my brain functions well this week as I am on night shift.

All in all, it was a pretty swell weekend. I am definitely going back! I just need to earn back more money. To those who might be thinking of going out to surf, my total spending was PhP2,500 and it was all worth it!

No comments: