Sunday, October 09, 2005

Reading back

I was reading my posts from long ago, back when this blog was less than 6 months old and I have to admit I had more direction before than from where I am now. It has been 6 months for me working and I am enjoying my work. I learn something new every day.

I see now at a larger view a working computer network where a thousand computer are communicating with one another compared to my previous concept of a network during my 145 class where 12 computers where wired and only a chat application was being used. Before, I took for granted putting SQL statements together. It didn't really matter how long the statement was as long as it is working but now I find out that there is such a thing as Query Tuning so that queries would run faster and thus increase the performance of an application. Before, I can build an application in 2-3 weeks but now I realize how limited the functionality of my applications where. It takes 2-3 years to build a decent application and it would need constant releases of updates and regular maintainance to make users happy.

Aside from technical work, I learn to deal with people. I meet with people in the office, work with developers and deal with key users, meet with application owners, and handle change managers. Put this in a global scale and you get to meet people with different work habits, different accents, different cultures, different ways of seeing things. Every once in a while, you get to appreciate the beauty of a global business and the advantages of seeing things at a bigger whole and see the how much you can affect change in that.

Really, I have learned a lot from this short period of time. But I want to get involved in something outside of work - a sport, a volunteer group or something that I have interest. I want to do something different outside of work. Something that is on a smaller scale but I don't know yet. I tried doing that inside the office but I am still playing a role too small to really make an impact and besides, I don't want to be limited to HP alone.

Reading back, I remember how much of a visionary I was. I had a lot of dreams. I still do have those though, but it is somehow blurred. I guess it is because I have always found people who could realize those dreams for me. Now, it is either I realize those dreams on my own (which I don't think I can) or find people who have similar dreams as mine and see if we can work something out.

I remember my mission-vision statement before: To guide, inspire and empower myself and my circle of infuence in order to create a relationship of growth, understanfing, excitement & fun. This was the first draft of that mission-vision statement I made during the Team Building we had for the council when I saw myself a bringer of sides. I guess it is time to build on that 2nd draft now because I have a larger range of possibilites.

I also have my 10 dreams that would fulfill my mission:
1. Fix my biological time clock. [check]
2. Graduate on time. [check]
3. Build a house for my family in a nice village.
4. Thank people that have influenced & helped me in my life. [in the process]
5. Be a smiling face & a listening ear. [loosing this one]
6. Solidify CS department and students. [wait and see status]
7. Pursue higher studies on something that would have impact on Philippine society.
8. Build a forest; be part of an environment advocacy
9. Become a teacher or professor.
10. Build that scholarship program.

2 out of 10. Not bad in just a year. I guess it is also time to update this dream list. I have to do something to remind me of these goals of mine...

I hope reading back on my blogs and papers will put me in a better direction much like if not better than what I had before. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Corsarius said...

mike,

IMHO, i believe you laid the groundwork for many of the great things happening in the CS department today. you should keep that in mind and in your heart day in, day out, even as you toil in the workplace :P i bet you -- sooner or later you're going to do something great, too, for your present (and maybe future) company/ies.

go mike! :D

Anonymous said...

Finding college dance scholarship information is a difficult process. Thanks for helping others find more information about college dance scholarship.

Davecollege dance scholarship

ibswa said...

Good luck with your remaining 8 dreams. I think #9 is a prerequisite of #6.