Friday, May 27, 2005

I mourn, I pray, I reflect

Today, I mourn a death, pray for a sickly, and reflect on the dynamics of life and death. Two of friends both recent graduates are now at fate that most of us dread to be in. Of these two, one is an ardent student leader while the other is an advocate of having strong academics. One chose to take a path of intellectual stimulation while the other wanted to develop a well-rounded personality. One a silent creek, the other waterfall. One lost her father, the other might lose his. Two different people yet it is destiny that brings all people to the same fate, the fate of all human beings.

I once thought of myself strong and ready to face death when it comes - never to be afraid of it, live my life as it comes. I thought that death is feared by only those who have not done enough, who have not found fulfillment. I thought that to face death is just like stepping on to that UP Theater stage just about ready to receive that diploma and ready to face another chapter, move on the slide, step up to the next rung. I guess that for you to face is nothing to be feared but to have someone who you cared for face death is a terrifying thing. I realized that fear of death was not derived from the death of your being but rather the death of people who are most important to your life.

I realized in my reflections that I do fear death. The death of family, the death of friends, the death of people I hold so close. I fear that losing them would be losing a piece of myself. Through experience I found out what is to fear with death. Death which I once thought was just a phase has become a 'period', a finality, an end. There is some much to know and to understand about life and death. So today, I mourn a death, I pray for the sick, and I continue to discover the dynamics of life and death.

My sincerest condolences.

And all my prayers.

God bless you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh...I am not so sure what to say... Just do not fear death. Ewan... I guess what I want to point out is that death is good because it is the end of a person's sufferings in this mortal life and a reminder for everyone else to always be good, live life to the fullest, and most of all, LOVE. :)

Drakulita said...

Awww, ang tama nga si byte. Don't fear death. It's a part of life and we'll all meet it at one point or another. The best thing to do is to face it with as much life as you can. LOVE and LIVE. :)