Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Builders and Wreckers

I watched them tearing a building down,
A gang of men in a busy town.
With a ho, heave, ho and a lusty yell
They swung a beam and a wall feel.

I asked the foreman, "Are these men skilled?
Like the men you'd hire if you had to build?"
He laughed as a replied, "No, indeed
Just common labor is all I need.

I can easily wreck in a day or two
What builders have taken years to do."
I asked myself as I went away
Which of these roles have I tried to play?

Am I a builder who works with care,
Measuring life by rule and square?
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town
Content with the labor of tearing down?
----0----
Why do so many of us find it easier to be a wrecker than a builder?
Why do we find it perversely gratifying to be sideline cynics smothering ideas in a relentless barrage of ‘what ifs’?
----0----
A builder sees problems as challenges and seeks solutions;
a dismantler sees problems in every solution.
A builder sees flaws and tries to fix them;
the dismantler sees flaws in every fix.
We need more builders.
God bless the Philippines.
----0----
My question for everyone:
Are we builders?

No comments: