Monday, September 18, 2006

Filipino Pride

I could not help but reposting this email I got from one of my groups. I just had a friend back over from Japan and he has sort of talked about how low other nations think about us as Filipinos! In fact, the Bangladeshi's are a prouder race than we are even we know as a fact that they are poorer. A sad truth but not one that we can't do anything about. For my part, reposting this is a start. I will be proud of being a Filipino everywhere I am in the world because, honestly, if I were the person below, you would have talked back to the guard...

-----------

I've been forwarned, the French are snobs.

When I alighted the plane from the Business Class section, we were told to line up to have our passports checked. I presented to the French Lady Guard my passport and my Business-Premiere Boarding pass for Mexico. She asked if I had papers for my Mexican trip (aside from the Mexican Visa on my passport). As I motioned to retrieve some papers from my bag, she told me to stand in one corner and wait for her. So I did.

I thought she would attend to me shortly after that, instead she finishedlooking at the passports of all passengers before she attended to those who were standing "at the corner"

My eyes scanned through the folks they set aside: Me, another Pinoy guy flying to the US from France,1 Chinese Girl, 1 Chinese guy on his way to Mexico and 1 Vietnamese lady. The Chinese girl had a French companion who talked to the guard, but the French companion was met with "You go, she stay". And so the French Companion left her Chinese friend, with the assurance that she'd wait for her by the Escalators.

Racial Discrimination is really the most stupid thing of all. Discrimination, in itself is bad, but when people discriminate against education attainment or status to choose a job, whereby a specific skill is required, you can probably be more understanding. But to sort people just by the way they look is really, really stupid.

Normally, I'd get pissed. But I was too tired. Besides I had a 4-hr lead time before my next flight. It was also interesting to see the widely regarded European Superiority Complex happening before my very eyes.

I thought. Hey the White Guy in tourist class had so many tattoos but he wasn't questioned. That other white dude in trashy clothes went through without hassle. They don't block black folks too cause there are black French and Americans-- they may be citizens of affluent countries. But oh... the yellows and browns...they are all poor.

Maybe they just want to sneak into Paris to be domestic helpers. Forget that she purchased an expensive ticket or that she's wearing a plush trench coat. Maybe they'll fly business class to Mexico so they can cross the border and get to the USA. She's brown and she deserves to stand in the corner.

So she bugs the browns and yellows for papers. The Viatnamese girl didn't speak English well. So the Guard was irritated. She increased the volume of her voice: "Paper! Paper!" Frustrated, the guard turns to me and asks

"You speak English?"

I was tempted to say, Way better than you do. But instead I replied with a simple "Yes."

She proceeds: "Why are you going to Mexico?"

Duh? What's in it to you anyway? I'm not going to France. I'll just use your airport. Besides the Mexican Consul already deemed me fit to enter their
country and granted me a visa so bug off! I didn't say that, of course. I just said: "I have a series of meetings in Latin America. Here's my email
correspondence with Coca-Cola Mexico. That's my itinerary for South America. And this is my company ID. I work for The Coca-Cola Company. You can call
Coca-Cola Mexico yourself if you like. The phone number is there"

Stunned, but still unwilling to humble herself, the lady guard asked: "What do you do for Coca-Cola?"

I swear I wanted to strangle her. Ano'ng pake mo? Di naman ako pupuntang France. But my better judgement told me to just pull-out my business card and hand it to her. The business card said: National Consumer Marketing Manager. And I told her: "I handle Marketing Activities for Coca-Cola in my country". With that, she let me go, but she didn't apologize for the inconvenience she's caused me. I don't know what happened to the Vietnamese Girl anymore.

Then I remembered what Tito Tony (Meloto) said about being Filipino. It doesn't matter where you migrate and make more money than you would here in Pinas. It doesn't matter if you amass richess in the Philippines and have you face plastered all over Lifestyle Asia and Philippine Tatler. Everyday when you wake up and look at the mirror, it's the same brown Filipino Face that stares back at you. The same brown Filipino Face the world looks down on. Sure you may get away with it sometimes. But chances are, you, any one of your family or close friends will be asked to "Stand at the Corner" by some White folk who doesn't know anybody.

So it's not enough to just make ourselves better. We should help make the Brown Filipino Face look better, by making the FACE of the Philippine Nation better. Individual Sucesses of Pacquiao and Lea Salonga are not enough.

* We need to improve the way people look at us and our country -- right in our own home.

* Reduce the slums by helping make suitable homes and livelihood for them. Sacrifice that Venti Double Esspresso Cafe Mocha once a week.

* Improve the quality of the Filipino Workforce by not stopping at learning.

* Eliminate corruption by resisting the temptation to bribe MMDA officials and take responsibility for your traffic violations

* Do not slack at work and always strive to deliver excellent results

Why do Pinoys have to migrate to show that we are excellent, hardworking people? Why do we have to leave the country to know that we have the capacity to be disciplined?

We don't have to go anywhere. We can do it at home--THE PHILPPINES -- our home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you might want to visit http://www.yabangpinoy.com/ and get involved!

Anonymous said...

The reason you were harassed was more for the color of your passport, not your skin. Since the rich in the phillippines like yourself have not been able to provide career opportunities for the rest of the pinoys(6 month contracts, age, marital, and height discrimination), most proud pinoys are forced to sneak into other countries for better opportunities. This is why everyone is punking you and will continue to punk you in customs airports and immigration. Please help put an end to this by hiring some one under 5' 2", over 35 years old, as a permanent hire without a pleasing pesonality(whatever that means) and we can hope this will stop.

Anonymous said...

RACISM IS EVERYWHERE, IT ALSO EXIST IN THE PHILIPPINE SOCIETY. AS A MATTER OF FACT OUR TRADITION AND SOCIETY CONDONES IT AND IT IS VERY OPEN TO IT. JUST LOOK ON HOW PARENTS BELITTLE SMALL KIDS AND THE NAME CALLING THAT PARENTS AND SIBLINGS DO. AND IF YOU ARE KAYUMANGI OR DARK SKINNED THEY WILL CALL YOU BALUGA OR NEGRO. ALSO THE PHILIPPINE MOVIE INDUSRTY, LOOK AT THE WELL KNOWN MOVIE STARS MOST OF THEM ARE FAIR SKINNED MESTIZOS. STILL REMEMBER SKIN WHITENNING SOAPS, MY GOODNESS THEY WANT TO TURN BEAUTIFUL PINOYS AND PINAYS INTO PIG SKINS.GOODLUCK